Ark Lions with Decalogue

1882

caption:
Intricately carved pine, painted gold with other decorative colors.  Carved Hebrew date, 5652.  Large lions hold the decalogue and crown.

Identifer: CJF.2009.001.060

Medium
Paint;Wood

Topics
Ark / Aharon HaKodesh & Its Ornaments; Beth Tefillah Synagogue (aka Shachne Isaacs Synagogue or Shul); Items on Display

Collection
University of Cincinnati Hillel Collection

Description
 The lions were found in a storage building (formerly the mortuary chapel) at the Beth Tefillah  (Schachne) cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio

They were donated to the University of Cincinnati Hillel Collection in 1990.

They were lent to a Stagecrafters production of “Cantorial” by Ira Levine in 1990, in an attempt to locate more information on their history.  Though the lions were found at the Schachne cemetery, no evidence links them to either the Mound Street Temple or Beit Tefillah Synagogue.  

They were dedicated In Memory of Jack Katz, Brooklyn, NY by his wife, children and grandchldren.
                              
References:   The American Israelite, “Stagecrafters Cantorial to Begin November 29th” November 22, 1990

The Cincinnati Enquirer, November 27, 1990

 

Related Objects

Leave a Comment

Cincinnati Judaica Fund| 8401 Montgomery Road | Cincinnati, OH 45236 | 513-241-5748
Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education | 8401 Montgomery Road | Cincinnati, OH 45236 | 513-487-3055
powered by CollectiveAccess 2014