White Velvet Torah Cover from Congregation B’nai Avraham (Cincinnati, OH)

20th century

caption:
White velvet torah cover with white satin Decalogue flanked by two erect gold lions.  Blue and gold thread embroidery.  Below the Decalogue, which has a rounded upper edge, is an appliquéd purple velvet vase from which a single purple flower and two vines extend.  Embroidered at the bottom in Hebrew is the name:  “Yehoshua Kaplan.”

Identifer: CJF.2009.001.191

Medium
Textile

Topics
Northern Hills Synagogue (Congregation B'Nai Avraham); Torah & Its Ornaments

Collection
University of Cincinnati Hillel Collection

Description
Also known as the Norwood Shul, B’nai Avraham was established as an orthodox synagogue in 1913.  A year later, it was incorporated and moved to a simple wood frame building on Hopkins Avenue.

Leave a Comment

Cincinnati Judaica Fund| 8401 Montgomery Road | Cincinnati, OH 45236 | 513-241-5748
Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education | 8401 Montgomery Road | Cincinnati, OH 45236 | 513-487-3055
powered by CollectiveAccess 2014