Pinkas Hazahav (The Golden Ledger) of Cincinnati’s Orthodox Community
The city of Cincinnati was settled by Jews over a hundred years ago. There is mention of Jews [living] there in the year 5577 (1816-17). There is an orthodox cemetery on Chestnut St. containing Jewish graves from the year 5581(1820-21). The tombstones are all in pure Hebrew with no hint of English [influence]. This cemetery was in use until the year 5609 (1848-49) and is now closed. The city is praised far and wide for its charities, leaders, and wise men. From the time of its founding G-d fearing laypeople as well as Torah scholars could be found, alongside intellectuals and secular extremists. A secret war between lions and young lions, a stubborn ideological war, has always reigned between the G-d fearing and the reformers. Here the old as the new stand like boulders facing off against each other.
[In order to preserve] its memory for eternity let us mention that there was also a cemetery on Court St. near Wessel, but buildings have been built over it and the graves are no longer noticeable. A pity.
The first synagogue was built in the year 5596 (1835-36)
The second, in the year 5597 (1836-37)
The third, in the year 5607 (1846-47)
The fourth, in the year 5624 (1863-64)
The fifth, in the year 5641 (1880-81)
The sixth, in the year 5647 (1886-87)
The seventh, in the year 5654 (1893-94)
The eighth, in the year 5663 (1902-03)
The ninth, in the year 5672 (1911-12)
The tenth, in the year 5674 (1913-14)
The eleventh, in the year 5683 (1922-23)
The twelfth, in the year 5685 (1924-25)
The thirteenth, in the year 5699 (1938-39)