Ark / Aharon HaKodesh & Its Ornaments; Items on Display
University of Cincinnati Hillel Collection
Beth Israel Synagogue was incorporated with the State of Ohio in February, 1891. They called themselves The Hebrew Congregation of Fremont, Ohio located in Sandusky County.
In May, 1959 the newly renovated Ark and refurbished Temple were dedicated as the Arthur E. Gilberg Memorial Ark in memory of Mr. Gilberg.
The synagogue closed its doors in the late 1970’s.
The lions graced the ark in the synagogue on the second floor of the Stark building in Freemont, Ohio before coming to their final installation in the 1959 renovated synagogue building.
This artifact was one of five pieces on loan to the American Folk Art Museum in New York City for their 2007 exhibit, “The Synagogue and the Carousel.”
The decorative ark crest was acquired for the University of Cincinnati Hillel Collection by Mr. Mayer Pollack and Mr. Robert Gilberg. It was dedicated in honor of Bill Fee and WCPO-TV, Cincinnati, OH.