The cradle of Tel Aviv lies in the early Jewish neighborhoods set up outside Jaffa. The first house was built in “Neve Tzedek” in 1839 when it, and later “Neve Shalom” were still part of the Jaffa Municipality. Only after “Ahuzat Bayit” Association acquired, with the help of the Jewish National Fund, a large tract of sand dunes to the north east of Jaffa, was the foundation laid for the first house in the “Ahuzat Bayit” area (5669-1909), which later was given a new name. The name was taken from the book written by Benjamin (Theodore) Herzi and translated by Nahum Sokolov into Hebrew – “Tel Aviv”.
Leave a Comment