Ritual and Decorative Objects; Isaac Mayer Wise Temple
University of Cincinnati Hillel Collection
In 1840 the Isaac M. Wise Temple was founded (as K.K. Bene Yeshurun) by a group of young German Jews who were not in sympathy with the previously established English congregation in Cincinnati, K.K. Bene Israel (Rockdale Temple). K.K. Bene Yeshurun was renamed in the twentieth century in memory of Rabbi Isaac M. Wise who served as its rabbi for almost fifty years, and who played such a major role in the establishment of American Reform Judaism.