Articles Regarding Naming of B'Nai Jacob Congregation after Rabbi Joseph Meyer Levin
THE ENQUIRER, CINCINNATI,
SEPTEMBER 11, 1932
SYNAGOGUE TO BE OPENED.
B’nai B’rith To Dedicate Temple
To Late Rabbi Levin.
At 2 o’clock next Sunday B’nai Jacob Congregation formally will dedicate and open its new synagogue at 519-521 Forest Avenue, in memory of the late Rabbi J. M. Levin.
With the death of Rabbi Levin at Detroit, Mich., May 2, 1926, when he was there on a visit, Cincinnati Orthodox Jewry lost one of its most stalwart leaders. His work toward achieving an understanding between Orthodox Jews, Reformed Jews, and Gentiles, is to be commemorated by naming the synagogue “The House of Worship of Joseph Meyer.” The last name, Levin, is not used because of the Hebrew and biblical tradition which only recognizes persons by their first names.
Rabbi Betzalel Z. Epstein is the present rabbi of the B’nai Jacob Congregation. Max Rafalo, who has been appointed Chairman of the dedication exercises, and his committee have already made arrangements for the prominent speakers to be heard, which will include Gillbert Bettman, Attorney-General; Rober N. German, Prosecutor of Hamilton County, and Alfred M. Mack, Judge of the court of Common Please. All of the local rabbis, both orthodox and reformed, and the public have been invited to help celebrate the occasion.