Adam Politzer (1835 – 1920) was a Hungarian - Austrian physician and one of the pioneers and founders of otology (Otology is a branch of medicine which studies normal and pathological anatomy and physiology of the ear (hearing and vestibular sensory systems and related structures and functions) as well as its diseases, diagnosis and treatment.)
After many years of training throughout Europe, in 1861, Adam Politzer became a professor of otology at the University of Vienna. Two years later, in 1863, he opened a private otological clinic, which soon began to attract patients from all over the world. In 1864, Politzer was allowed by the government to treat indigent patients at the charity hospital as well as in the homes for elderly. He received the title of professor extraordinarius in 1870 and was appointed to the rank of a joint directorship to a new clinic in the Vienna General Hospital, in the next year (the first of its kind in the world). In 1895 Politzer won a full professorship and became the sole director of the clinic in 1889, until 1907.
He died 13 years later, in 1920, at the age of 85, celebrated as one of the pioneers of modern otology in the history of medicine, but unfortunately in a poor financial condition, due to the economic crisis in Austria after the country was defeated in the First World War.
This plaque was issued in Bronze & Silver (68 x 43 mm) in 1907 upon Adam Politzer’s retirement as sole director of the otology clinic at the Vienna General Hospital
Artist: Engraved by Eduard Telcs